11 December 2007

Stained glass





Stained glass can defined as a technical term meaning glass that has been painted with an oxide, then heated so the oxide fuses with the glass; but it has also come to mean any decorative panels of glass held together in a framework.
So here are two panels I made for the same window. The one with green squares exists now only as a photo as I have dismantled it. I chose green because it's restful and purple looks nice with green; but the effect was too dark, like a Victorian living room. Having lots of black came didn't help.


I replaced it with the window with stars in the corners. I chose green (restful) red and pink(warm) manganese blue (comforting) and yellow (cheerful) and used less came, only enough to hold the glass in place. Our reaction to colours has been studied (to see more visit http://www.colour-affects.co.uk/psyprop.html) so green can make us feel peaceful and reassured but maybe sometimes it is boring- perhaps the response is subjective, or it depends on context. Also colours look more intense when next to a complementary colour, so I put little bits of orange in with the green.
This new window has prisms top and bottom, which catch the afternoon and evening sun, and make rainbows. It has a clear panel in the centre where I drew a SANKOFA ="return and get it" a symbol of importance of learning from the past. Here's a link for sankofa: http://www.welltempered.net/adinkra/htmls/adinkra/sank.htm . In my mind, this makes it a symbol for existensialism, a philososophy which appeals to me. It says that we take choices throughout life and must take responsibility for having made them. This puts the locus of control within ourself, so we take control of our own destiny. Sounds good to me.
StumbleUpon Bookmark and Share

No comments: