11 December 2007

Leaded lights? no thanks!

Traditional leaded lights are glass panels held together in a lead framework (called came), soldered, and sealed using lead-based putty, Lead dusts into lead oxide, making it hard to clean. It is not healthy to introduce lead dust into a place where we live.

CAMEFIX is an innovative, lead-free approach to making stained glass. It uses long-life plastics and adhesives, making a strong, light framework, which won’t distort or oxidise over time. CAMEFIX units can be used to make sun-catchers or can be sealed into double-glazed or secondary glazed units ideal for thermal insulation. They are easy to clean (so they can be used in bathrooms).


The lightweight nature of Camefix coupled with the sealed units allows for designs to be more innovative than is possible with traditional leaded lights.
Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

ZS said...

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. Life just hasn't been quite right lately. But this looks so interesting - the light shining through in different patterns and colours. I always liked coloured glass. I have whole bowls full of different bits of sea glass. My jacket pockets are all full of the stuff. There is just something intriguing about the way light can come through but everything is changed and distorted.

So are the panes separate pieces of glass?

I'm not sure I'd be very good at thinking up text for you. I like combining words and images on Polaroids, but I'm never sure which element comes first and it generally comes from some personal association. Your work is abstract and geometrical. I'm not sure I could just come up with something.

But let's think about it. Thank you for showing me. I thought you'd be creative.

Anonymous said...

Hello Zs.
I'm pleased you came. I'm glad you liked my glass. I guess we are just creative in different ways; maybe our skills aren't transferrable.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the panes ARE made of separate pieces of glass. Each different colour is a different bit of glass. The black lines you see are where the bits of glass are held together with either adhesives or with Milliput, which is a resin. If the bits of glass don't touch, they leave a gap through which you can see the world outside with no distortion from either the colour or texture of the glass.